Bette Midler and Dear Evan Hansen were big winners Sunday at the Tony Awards. Midler won best musical actress for her role in the revival of Hello, Dolly! The production also won the award for Best Musical Revival.
Taking the night’s biggest award, Best Musical, was Dear Evan Hansen, an off-Broadway production about a young man battling shyness.
Kevin Spacey hosted and late-night host Stephen Colbert announced the nominees for Best Musical Revival, using his stage time to take a shot at President Trump. Colbert said, “It’s been a great year for revivals in general, especially that one they revived down in Washington, D.C. It started off-Broadway in the ’80s. Way off Broadway, over on 5th Avenue, huge production values. A couple of problems: the main character is totally unbelievable, and the hair and makeup: yeesh. This D.C. production is supposed to have a four-year run, but reviews have not been kind. Could close early. We don’t know, we don’t know. Best of luck to everyone involved.” (Rolling Stone)
Talk About It:
- Midler won a special Tony in 1974, but this is her first competitive win on the show.
- In her acceptance speech, Midler said, “I’d like to thank all the Tony voters, many of whom I’ve actually dated.”
- Does the rest of America care about the Tonys or is that just an awards show for high-brown New Yorkers?
2016 Tony Awards: Celebrity Red Carpet Arrivals
18 photos Launch gallery
1. Actress/Filmmaker Lupita Nyong’o looked gorgeous in floral.
1 of 18
2. Model Joan Smalls wore an eclectic gown.
2 of 18
3. Actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson looked dapper.
3 of 18
4. Actor Neil Patrick Harris & David Burtka were a sight for sore eyes.
4 of 18
5. Actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead was glowing.
5 of 18
6. Actress Busy Philipps looked pretty in pink.
6 of 18
7. Actress Lucy Liu went for the lemonade look.
7 of 18
8. Singer Leona Lewis was classic in black.
8 of 18
9. Actress Uzo Aduba wore electric blue.
9 of 18
10. Actor Jake Gyllenhaal went for a classic tux.
10 of 18
11. Actress Danai Gurira looked gorgeous in yellow.
11 of 18
12. TV personality and Tony host James Corden & Julia Carey.
12 of 18
13. “Hamilton” actor/creator Lin-Manuel Miranda won big.
13 of 18
14. Actress Michelle Williams went for white.
14 of 18
15. Rapper/Actor Common was dashing as always.
15 of 18
16. Singer-songwriter Gloria Estefan & Emilio Estefan.
16 of 18
17. Actor Zachary Levi in a gray suit.
17 of 18
18. British singer-songwriter Cynthia Erivo.
18 of 18